A couple of new quilts

September 20, 2010

I haven’t done a lot of quilting this summer, what with being so busy with the barn quilts and other stuff (like a garden that went wild!) but I did recently complete these two.
The first one is my birthday quilt from blocks that my local quilt guild gave me for my birthday. We had a group of 12 people who each gave all 12 a fat eighth of a focus fabric, and we were to make each other a block on our designated “birthday month”. I set mine with a garden maze setting in order to make the quilt large enough for a queen size bed.

The second one is a commission quilt for my late husband’s cousin in Utah. He wanted a large wall hanging with a barn on it. His grandfather was a barn builder in the 1920’s, so I used one of the barns he built, which is still in the family, owned by another cousin, for the image.

It won first place viewer’s choice for wall hangings in our local quilt guild show last weekend. Now it is off to Utah.


Fruit of the Spirit

July 28, 2010

A couple of years ago, our church added a new fellowship hall. The walls are off-white, very plain, especially one large wall that was kept open to be able to show pictures on it. Then we realized a problem with noise and needed to do something to absorb sound when large groups use the hall. The solution was to install some sound absorbing 4×8 panels–on the plain wall! They’re not the most beautiful things, and I had already gotten a project started for some hangings which I had planned to “group” in one area on the wall, leaving plenty of space for showing pictures. Now that plan was shot down. What to do? So I purchased some natural colored cotton duck and covered the sound panels. The guy who sold them to us said it was fine to cover them with fabric. Last week we finally hung the 9 “Fruit of the Spirit” hangings on the four large panels, leaving six 2×8’s for other artwork or whatever.

This shows the entire wall with all of the hangings. I’m also posting each panel separately so you can see the detail better. Each has a different pieced background and quilting design. The letters were made from enlarged computer fonts.

Tangled Cobweb

June 24, 2010

That’s the name of my 2010 Hoffman Challenge quilt. I saw an antique quilt of this pattern and thought it would be good to try it in a small piece. Piecing a large quilt like this would be daunting, to say the least! I’m not a big fan of paper piecing, but that’s the only way to do this one.  Background fabric is hand dyed, as is the gold.  The light blue is the Hoffman challenge fabric.

Flowers for Spring

May 16, 2010

We’ve installed two more barn quilts, only this first one is on a house, a 4 foot Tulip Basket.

Yesterday we put this Amaryllis on an old barn.  The women who have lived in this place have always had wonderful flower gardens, so this block is in honor of all of them.

Next time, maybe I’ll have some actual fabric quilts to post.

Rising Star

May 6, 2010

Kettunen Center, near Tustin, MI, is a conference center and 4-H leader training facility. West Michigan Quilters Guild sponsored this Rising Star/4-H quilt block for their building. The center hosts several quilt retreats a year.

Flying High Ninepatch

May 6, 2010

John is a private pilot, and Mary makes nine-patch quilts to give as gifts. Both of them are represented in this Flying High Ninepatch block on their barn.


April 23, 2010

Our quilt trail team decided to place a Pineapple quilt block on the building where we do our painting as a thank-you to the owner who has generously let us use it all winter.  We realized after we had the block finished that the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality, so it was very appropriate.

Broken Dishes

April 23, 2010

It’s been a while since I blogged. Much has happened since then. We have two more quilt blocks installed, and another one going up tomorrow. This Broken Dishes quilt is probably close to 100 years old, and is the source for the design of the quilt block on the Marion Historical Museum in Marion, MI
Some of the members of the Historical Society came and helped us paint the block by adding some embellishing to create the look of printed fabrics.

The block was mounted on a shed next to the main building, which houses the antique tool collection.

A Pair of Plates

March 27, 2010

Dresden Plates, that is. They’re both going on the same barn, one facing US131 freeway, and the other facing US10.

They’re still hanging out at the painting studio for a while, until the barn owner gets the barn painted.

Barn quilt design

March 9, 2010

I thought I would write a little bit about the process of designing a barn quilt. First we interview the barn owner, find out if they have a family quilt they would like to use as the basis for the design. I’ll walk you throough the Schmidt quilt as an example. The late Mrs. Schmidt’s grandmother made the Blazing Star quilt c. 1930, and it is a prized family possession.

I then isolate a part of the design from the quilt, one block or more, and draw that into my EQ6 quilt design program.

The block design i
s exported to another program where I can impose it onto a picture of the barn, to let the barn owner be able to visualize the finished product.

In the case of the Schmidt barn, they had two options for placement of the block on the barn, so I sent them a file with the block placed in both positions.

Once the design and color selections are made, the design is drawn onto primed MDO board and painted with exterior trim paint.